A favorite among local artists and art-lovers, the Western Colorado Center for the Arts First Friday Art Walk in Downtown Grand Junction are a great way to experience the wide variety of artistic talent in town. Numerous art venues and galleries throughout Grand Junction are open late on the first Friday of each month. First Fridays typically begin around 5 p.m. and go until around 9 p.m.
What makes this event so much fun (besides the wonderful, eclectic art shows) are the people. Everyone is in a great mood. There’s always lots of food, drink and laughter, and it almost becomes a game as you see people again at the next art venue.
The Art Center in Grand Junction, 1803 N 7th St, Grand Junction, CO 81501 (970) 243-7337 hosts First Friday receptions and often features local celebrity artists. To participate in First Fridays, just show up at The Art Center (corner of Seventh Street and Orchard Avenue) in Grand Junction and the staff will be happy to guide you to the other locations. It’s a wonderful way to experience the Grand Valley art scene while “playing” with many fun locals and artists.
Visit these downtown art studios for their newest exhibits the first Friday evening of each month. Most serve refreshments, some have live music, and offer free admission. Times vary at each gallery. Call the Art Center at 970-243-7337 for information or call the individual gallery.
Please note that not every gallery participates every month.
- Colorado Mesa University Gallery, 437 Colorado Ave. (inside the DDA office bldg.) 970-248-1833
- Main Street Gallery, 412 Main Street 970-242-7666
- The Raw Canvas, 507 Main Street 970-985-9649
- Aspen Photo Gallery, 559 Main Street (next to & part of Main Street Bagels) 970-241-2740
- Oakley Gallery, 602 Main Street (inside Interiors, Etc) 970- 270-0303
- Colorado Canyons Gallery & Gifts, 623 Main Street 970-314-2054
- Veterans Art Center/Operation Revamp, 307 S. 12th St (Corner of 12th & Ute) 970-462-3126
- The Shade Tree, 618 Main Street 970-403-7194
- The Front Porch Gallery, 339 Ute Ave
- Grand Valley Books, 350 Main Street 970-424-5437
- Art Bar Studio & Gallery, 205 Colorado 970-773-0063
- Uncanny Valley, 515 S. 7th St. 970-424-6853 (at M City Lounge Bldg)
- Pause Art Gallery, 543 Main Street (2nd floor)